[Open-access] ORCiD and Libraries

Paul Walk paul at paulwalk.net
Mon Jul 6 14:28:58 UTC 2015

I sympathise with the sentiment behind Thomas’s remark:

“It's puzzling to me why any open access advocate would promote it.”

I share his concern that in the longer term the research community may come to regret its dependence on this system. But in the end it’s all about compromise. ORCID has momentum - it is quite likely to help accelerate the integration of systems and datasets in the short-medium term, and this is important too.

I have a little optimism that ORCID may pave the way for a better system, by finally demonstrating the value of global identifiers for authors to the mainstream research community.

Paul