[Open-access] ORCiD and Libraries

Reimer, Torsten F t.reimer at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jul 6 14:39:24 UTC 2015

Hello,

> This implies constructing a
>  complicated, expensive, proprietary, and monopolistic
>  system. Ultimately it will help to further cement the stranglehold
>  of the publishing industry over scholarly communication. It's
>  puzzling to me why any open access advocate would promote it.

I'd like to contest that view:
- ORCID is owned by its members, so academia has a say in how ORCID works.
- The code is open source.
- It is publisher agnostic and works on content outside the publishing system.
- There may be different view on value, but we regard our membership fee as value for money.
- ORCID already integrates nicely into a lot of systems.
- It has a role to play in helping authors with reporting and also open access compliance.

This is not to say that one could not imagine a better solution, but ORCID can already play a useful role and it has increasing uptake. Therefore I find the characterisation a little harsh.

Regards,
Torsten

Dr Torsten Reimer
Scholarly Communications Officer
Imperial College London
Research Office, Level 5, Sherfield Building
Exhibition Road, London, SW7 2AZ
Tel: 020 7594 3190  Fax: 020 7594 1265
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/researchsupport
https://twitter.com/torstenreimer