[Open-access] Wiley have been caught incorrectly paywalling & selling (Dirk Verdicchio)

Cameron Neylon cn at cameronneylon.net
Fri Mar 27 10:18:18 UTC 2015

I think there are two separate issues here which are at risk of being
conflated:

The first is whether this is “legal” (or potentially violating contracts
etc etc). I’m sure in some cases it is possible that a line has been
stepped over, but equally I doubt very much that anyone is going to take
these issues to court.

The more important question from my perspective is whether this is
acceptable behaviour from a major service provider. Many on this list
would be perfectly comfortable with someone taking CC BY licensed work,
packaging it up (perhaps in some premium print edition) and charging for
that, indeed that’s the point of licensing in this way for many of us. But
regardless of whether it is allowed or not I think many of us would be
uncomfortable with the ethics of /anyone/ merely taking open content and
reselling it as is.

That said, we expect fly by night operators to exist and probably the
degree of damage done by a dodgy republisher is limited in most cases. A
tax on those who can’t use a search engine to find the free copy is an
acceptable price to pay for the benefits of open content in my view.
However we can reasonably expect higher standards of behaviour from those
who position themselves as the guardians of standards in scholarly
communication. This is not a legal/contractual issue in my view but an
ethical and reputational one.

More broadly this is a trap we often get into in this space. We confuse
the legal limitations/rights associated with licenses and contracts with
the /social signalling/ of expected behaviour. For instance many people
choose an NC license, not because they would ever sue anyone, but because
they want to signal their expectations of downstream users. A lot of the
problems with both NC and ND arise because of the way that the legal
issues that the licenses create (e.g. What exactly is a commercial
activity in legal terms?) interact with the social signals that people are
trying to send (I don’t want you to sell my stuff but I’m happy for you to
use otherwise).

The problem is that this leads us into legalistic questions of “whether
this is allowed” rather than the much more important question of “whether
this should happen”. To put it another way, focussing on the legal issues
externalises the problem, passing it to courts and judges to work out,
when what we should be asking is “what are the values of our community
around these issues”.

In turn refocussing on the values question lets us take a pragmatic
approach - the fly by night small operations are an irritation but not a
major problem, but when a big player is doing this systematically, even if
that is by mistake, it’s a serious issue.

Cheers

Cameron