[Open-access] FutureTDM seeks your feedback on text and data mining in Europe

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Wed Feb 24 14:33:45 UTC 2016

Hi All

Open Knowledge and ContentMine are co-organising an event with the
EU-funded FutureTDM consortium - we want to hear from researchers and other
text and data miners (journalists, web organisations etc) about their
experiences with performing these activities in Europe in order to make
recommendations to improve uptake. This includes changes to European
copyright legislation, which will likely be of interest to many of you. If
you're interested, you can apply to attend
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Ugkm86XygoL0hDN3NC3ZkJ_tILs7rQCRgqITYDOVpnI/viewform>
-
more info below.

More opportunities are forthcoming in different cities (follow
www.futuretdm.eu if interested) and there will be an online survey in the
near future for those who can't make it in person.

Please forward onto any mailing lists that you think might be interested.

Jenny (on behalf of the FutureTDM consortium)

FutureTDM Knowledge Café

In collaboration with the British Library

Brontë Room, British Library Conference Centre, 96 Euston Rd, London NW1
2DB

Monday 7 March, 2pm-4pm

FutureTDM is a European Commission funded project to identify current
barriers to text and data mining (TDM) in Europe and produce solid
European-wide recommendations that address and reduce these barriers on a
legal, policy and organisational level. You can find out more about the
project at www.futuretdm.eu.

Content mining techniques lie at the heart of data-driven research and
innovation. Yet, as identified by the European Commission, the practice is
currently underused by EU researchers. We want to hear from those working
in the field to explore why. Our Knowledge Cafes represent an informal
opportunity to gather feedback on EU text and data mining in consultation
with researchers, funders, developers, publishers, SMEs and many other
stakeholder groups.

At this event, participants will hear about TDM in relation to the research
environment and then have the opportunity to provide input on TDM barriers
in relation to legal clarity, economy (i.e. funding), technical
infrastructure and research.

Information gathered in the meetings will feed into our project
recommendations, website and ultimately into the project’s Online
Information Hub which will be launched towards the end of the year. This
will also be useful in the wider context of TDM policy in the EU, where
legislation is soon to be proposed.

Apply for the event HERE
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Ugkm86XygoL0hDN3NC3ZkJ_tILs7rQCRgqITYDOVpnI/viewform>
Applications will be moderated due to limited space and to prioritise
stakeholders related to the research environment. We will confirm your
place by 29 Feb and as soon as possible for applications received after
that date.