[Open-access] Nominations now open for the first MIT Media Lab Disobedience Award

Ernesto Priego efpriego at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 12:08:11 UTC 2017

On 9 March 2017 at 12:03, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:

> That sounds more like civil obedience.

Maybe. I think of civil obedience to keep publishing in paywalled journals
and to continue leaving publishing contracts untouched. Everytime an author
modifies a contract to change an All Rights Reserved license to include
non-exclusive rights, I see there a small act of civil disobedience.
Everytime an academic risks not being assessed highly by their peers and
employers by publishing in a researcher-led open acces journal, I see a
small act of civil disobedience. But that's just me.

> I bow to no man in my admiration of the PKP, CC or OKF; but I don't think
> that what they do can by any stretch of the imagination be defined as civil
> disobedience; and I am pretty sure that if any of those organisations was
> offered the award, they would have the integrity to turn it down.
>
> -- Mike.

OK. I just find that the organisation that did not stand by Aaron Swartz is
offering this prize.

Ernesto