[open-archaeology] BoneCommons open material

Stefano Costa stefano.costa at okfn.org
Wed Dec 8 10:18:18 UTC 2010

Il giorno mar, 07/12/2010 alle 08.48 -0800, Eric C. Kansa ha scritto:

> Exporting Dublin Core metadata should be easy. As Stefano noted, we're
> using Omeka which publishes machine-readable data by default:
>
> http://omeka.org/codex/Response_Formats

Eric,
it's a lot more than I expected! Two minor questions:
      * are you exposing machine-readable formats in the document
        source? I can only find <link rel="alternate to the RSS2 feed
      * the Omeka XML has info about pagination, but is there a way to
        go through many pages of content without parsing XML of the
        first page?

> Nevertheless, I think BoneCommons has helped get researchers
> comfortable with CC licenses (esp. the more open variants) and the
> open Web in general. Because it's sponsored by ICAZ, it has a
> professional society behind CC licensing and open sharing too, so that
> makes it feel more acceptable.

We need more professional societies adopting the same policies. I think
there could be some progress in this direction with the "ethics
statement" that Ant Beck has been discussing with a few organizations in
the UK.

Ciao
Stefano

--
Stefano Costa
Coordinator, Working Group on Open Data in Archaeology