[open-archaeology] best practices

Stefano Costa stefano.costa at okfn.org
Wed Dec 8 09:57:09 UTC 2010

Hi All,

Exporting Dublin Core metadata should be easy. As Stefano noted, we're
using Omeka which publishes machine-readable data by default:

http://omeka.org/codex/Response_Formats

As far as the content goes, it's mainly a grab-bag of varia published by
different members of the ZooArch community. There are paper offprints,
conference presentations, images, and newsletters. Wide dissemination is
useful, but the material isn't necessarily easy to remix (hence calling
this "sorta" open). Nevertheless, I think BoneCommons has helped get
researchers comfortable with CC licenses (esp. the more open variants)
and the open Web in general. Because it's sponsored by ICAZ, it has a
professional society behind CC licensing and open sharing too, so that
makes it feel more acceptable.

Thanks for circulating this Stefano!
-Eric