No subject

Fri Feb 12 23:10:20 UTC 2010

, I would say there are two things worth considering.

The first one is concerned with legal issues regarding copyright. As far as=
 I understood, but this may not be true for other countries, the contractor=
s of archaeological 'heritage management' research can legally claim the ri=
ght of distribution of data and reports (note that the 'intellectual copyri=
ght' always remains with the researcher). They can thereby restrict access =
to data and reports to trusted parties. In the Netherlands, this has been r=
e-interpreted in 2007 to the degree that reports and data have to be made a=
ccessible to registered archaeologists through digital repositories. As far=
 as I can tell, this policy is mostly adhered to in the case of commercial =
digs, although contractors can still enforce an embargo for a limited perio=
d of time. This system can easily be extended to situations where we are de=
aling with data that will be used for scientific publication, but it can ob=
viously not be forced on amateurs that are not accountable for what they do=
 with their data.

The second thing is the accessibility of government data (open government i=
s the current buzzword). Quite a bit of archaeological data falls into this=
 category, and regardless whether we are afraid of treasure hunters, this h=
as to be made available to the general public in one form or another. A wel=
l-known case in the Netherlands is the 'Landmark sentence'; a British compa=
ny went to court to force the city of Amsterdam to make data on soil contam=
ination available to them for free (http://www.raadvanstate.nl/uitspraken/z=
oeken_in_uitspraken/zoekresultaat/?verdict_id=3D35424). They could then res=
ell digests of this to interested customers who wanted to build a house and=
 know whether there were any restrictions on the building site or potential=
 problems in the soil (archaeology clearly falls into the same category). W=
hile in this particular case the judgement was that investments made by the=
 city of Amsterdam did not justify the fees they asked, it also means that =
governments can still ask money for data if they can prove that they have p=
aid themselves for the construction and maintenance of the databases.

So it seems there are quite clear legal precedents that could be used to su=
pport the kind of open data approach you are advocating, but I think the fi=
nancial issue might be more tricky in this respect

Best wishes,

Philip Verhagen