[open-archaeology] chances for meeting in the real-world (Athens, London)

Stefano Costa stefano.costa at okfn.org
Sun Feb 14 18:16:42 UTC 2010

Il giorno mer, 03/02/2010 alle 15.22 +0000, Jo Walsh ha scritto:

> Recently saw a presentation on Europeana.eu , an aggregation of
> metadata on "heritage objects" across hundreds of European cultural
> institutions.
> Europeana are promoting among institutions a CC-BY-SA license *for
> metadata* that they are collecting. Their reasoning goes like this:

[...]
> - So CC-BY-SA is a compromise that returns some of the added value to
> "memory institutions"
>
> It would be an interesting line of reasoning to apply to, say, a
> European-level aggregation of site records.

Jo,
I agree that the acceptance of the "share alike" concept by cultural
institutions would be a major step forward. Of course if some big player
adopts it, we can count on network effect to some extent - but some
existing examples would certainly help in promoting.

It's important to see that this Open Archaeology group is not an
isolated effort but there are substantial links with other ongoing
initiatives - in this sense OKF support is very important. Also,
contributions by active people like you are more than welcome,
regardless of your background!

Ciao,
Stefano

--
Stefano Costa

Coordinator, Working Group on Open Data in Archaeology
http://wiki.okfn.org/wg/archaeology
The Open Knowledge Foundation
http://www.okfn.org