[open-archaeology] Ethics, archaeology and open data

Colleen Morgan clmorgan at berkeley.edu
Tue May 11 18:31:20 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm not sure that it would be as productive as an organization to draft a
position statement as much as it would be to have a best practices
statement.  As Eric has mentioned, we face considerably different
challenges in the United States in general and our ability to share can
vary wildly between projects.

A best practices template would be something for projects to embrace at
inception, or to modify according to their particular needs.  We have
drafted a statement particular to a bioarchaeology project we are working
on at the Hearst museum, here:

http://bbproject.wordpress.com/2009/12/22/ethics-statement-version-2-0/

It is highly specialized to our particular project wherein we are as open
as we can be without violating the various rules of the Hearst museum and
broader accords put forward by WAC and the SAA.

If we could create a document that is easy to use and modify that has a
range of sharing options open I think that it would be a great service.
Encouraging transparency about data that you are and are not sharing is a
great first step and one that many projects do not concern themselves with
at inception.

I know it isn't exactly "open" but I've had pretty good luck collaborating
in google docs on projects like these.

Cheers,

Colleen