[open-archaeology] [Antiquist] Re: Heritage Method Store Proposal

Federico Morando federico.morando at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 14:50:44 UTC 2010

Dear All,

I would like to add a perspective about this interesting topic: as a
by-product of this (admittedly quite ambitious) project, some simple
methodologies (and possibly some related how-to) could be recommended to
various hobbyist and amateurs (e.g. coin collectors) wanting to share
information online.

In fact, this suggestion comes from the fact that I'm interested in
these topics from two points of view: as a researcher working on public
sector information (and content) related issues from a multidisciplinary
point of view (law, technology & economics), taking into account the
possibilities of interactions between information held by - say - public
universities and user generated content; as a ancient coin collector
(with a specific interest in relationships between amateurs and
professionals and in legal schemes trying to minimize abuses and
looting, maximizing the circulation of information: e.g. the portable
antiquities scheme in UK and relates norms).

For instance, coin collectors frequently share online pictures and other
infos about their collections, but they tend to do so ignoring (at least
in part) best practices and/or standards which could help in making a
scientific use of these pieces of information (nonetheless, I think that
today websites such as http://wildwinds.com/ may help archaeologists
without a strong numismatic background in identifying ancient coins).
The kind of how-to which could help coin collectors making their
information more usable for researchers includes, for instance, best
practices to add semantic information to online collections of pictures
of ancient coins (RDF related technologies, such as RDFa, ontologies and
dictionaries, etc.).

Similarly, exposing some information about their findings, also
archaeologist could sometimes benefit from interactions with amateurs:
for instance, I have some friends working as archaeologist and they had
to admit more than once that I know more than them (or their colleagues
on a given excavation) about certain kinds of coins (e.g. late Roman
bronzes or Celtic coins of northern Italy). That happens simply because
I'm specialized on a very narrow subset of potentially archaeologically
relevant knowledge, but this already allowed me to casually help one of
them in identifying a worn coin simply looking at a picture, while my
friend did not have many clues to start its identification (in fact, to
me that flat bronze disk was clearly a Republican Roman as, but from the
stratigraphic information one would have been pushed to think about
medieval coins...).
[There is interesting research going on in various fields about
crowd-sourcing and I think that - up to a certain points - something
could be done also in archaeology... it has been done for complex
mathematical problems, but NASA also did that with a certain success for
identifying craters on Mars, for instance...]

So, to make a long story short, I think it could be nice to think about
methodologies (and software tools) creating a bridge between
professional archaeologist and various kind of amateurs. More
specifically, I would suggest to do some pilot work on ancient coins,
simply because there are big communities of coin collectors online,
because researchers in this field always used the work of collectors
quite intensively (many well known ancient coins catalogues have been
written by collectors in the past), but also because I would happily
volunteer as collector participating in such a pilot and/or proposing
this idea to other collectors.

Best,

Federico