[open-archaeology] [Antiquist] Re: Heritage Method Store Proposal

Cameron Neylon cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Sep 23 06:47:56 UTC 2010

 Federico:
I entirely agree- this has been something I've been thinking about quite a
lot recently and am really keen to get started on soon. It is, however
something quite different from the method store i think.

The idea that we can enrich our records with information from amatuer
archaeologists and other interested people is one that a lot of
archaeologists I've dicsussed it with seem quite sceptical about- but I
think the idea that we can crowd-source archaeological data has a lot of
advantages and could be a very powerful resource- especially in areas where
there are not the curatorial resources to manage cultural heritage
effectively. It is something that came up at the AARG conference recently
and that Anthony Beck, Oscar Aldred, I and others discussed fairly
extensively over the weekend. I'm busy tonight but would be delighted to
discuss how´we can do more in future!

Best,

David