[open-archaeology] [Antiquist] Re: Heritage Method Store Proposal

Federico Morando federico.morando at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 14:34:35 UTC 2010

Dear David and Cameron, dear all,

thanks for your kind feedback and apologies for my original largely
off-topic message: I admit that the link with the topic post was at most
weak... my point, in fact, was that some simple technologies and
methodologies could favor the kind of interaction with amateurs and
enthusiasts that I was describing. Hence, I was pointing out that
individuating these technologies could have been a nice by-product of
the method store.

I agree with your suggestion: let's keep these things separate. I will
be happy to go on discussing these issues on the [open-archaeology]
list, if you agree, and I would suggest labeling this topic as
"crowd-sourcing archaeological data". [I can think about various,
frequently very different, kinds of "crowd-sourcing", but I don't want
to discuss them under the "Heritage Method Store Proposal": I've already
done enough off-topic discussion! ;-)]

Stefano, do you think that this discussion is worth the creation of a
pad like the following:
http://archeo.okfnpad.org/crowdsource-archaeo-data
? (I hope that your answer is "Yes", because I know that you're very
sensitive to issues related to user generated content and the like.)
I think that we could already start populating this pad with interesting
points, since I definitely agree with Cameron about the reasons because
of which a pilot related to ancient coins could be appropriate (and I
would be happy to expand these points with specific examples).

Best,

Federico