[open-archaeology] AIA and open access

Anthony Beck A.R.Beck at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Apr 23 11:08:45 UTC 2012

Many thanks. That has softened many of the stings in the original.

I think it would be good if this was hosted/pinned on the OKF website and sent to AIA from two people (Steko as convenor of the Open Archaeology group and someone who has some clout in AIA (or the US)). It should also be cc'd to others at AIA (I'm thinking both the CEO and COO at least: http://www.archaeological.org/about/contact).

It may also be appropriate to send it through as a stand-alone commentary to American Antiquity and possibly to Antiquity (the latter could be part of a broader article including the journal of open archaeology data (http://openarchaeologydata.metajnl.com/) and DART providing open access to all its data during the project lifetime). This will also raise the profile of what we're trying to do. Anyway we could discuss this later.

This still doesn't solve the UK bias problem :-(