[open-archaeology] AIA and open access

Sebastian Heath sebastian.heath at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 12:46:57 UTC 2012

In general, that's right: I think there's an understanding that the
"President's letter" was something of an "own goal" (to this time try
my hand at a European sports term).

 The only section that gets opaque is the one about whether or not the
President speaks for the organization. In general, the AIA President
can do so. This is good when, say, s/he is testifying before the US
government on the particulars of our stance against the import of
looted antiquities. "Yes, madam chairwoman, it is the firm position of
the AIA that <fill in comment on particularly interesting wrinkle
here>."

 But it is unusual for the President to put the weight of the AIA on
one side of a new and important issue without consulting members via
votes of the Board or Council (bodies that meet a combined total of 4
times a year).

 All of which is to say that the statement is strong as it stands, but
to the extent that it comments on the deliberative processes at the
AIA, it may delve into murky waters that have never had complete
clarity, even for those of us who have had to explore them in very
practical fashion.

 -S.