[open-archaeology] AIA and open access

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Fri Apr 27 12:53:47 UTC 2012

Hi Folks,

Honestly:
Who cares, what some lady at the AIA, who
doesn't quite get the 21st century, thinks or
says?

Open Access is a development that cannot
be blocked by single people or groups and
their actions. It is the unavoidable outcome
of more direct communication, facilitated by
the Internet, that by and by will eliminate
the need for middlemen and their services,
such as publishing houses. Can't really blame
them for trying to hold on to their business
models as long as they can -- that's just social
inertia.

If we as archaeologists think that change is
not coming fast enough, we can try and put
up some pressure to speed things along. If
that statement by "the AIA" really makes you
feel like it's worth replying to, then by all
means: go ahead.
-- but the lengthy discussion this has already
triggered on _this_ side should be reason
for second thoughts.

So I think a more productive approach might be
to publish a general statement on why we want
Open Access and that we want it now, and try and
get as many high profile supporters as possible
behind it. Then have that published in some
widely-read publication. Maybe this AIA episode
could be a side note in such a statement.

Cheers,

Ben