[open-archaeology] Immediate open access publications of CAA proceedings?

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Wed May 9 11:57:47 UTC 2012

Dear List,

While the CAA remains the most important forum
for new research and developments in computational
archaeology, the mode of publication has unfortunately
not changed with the times as much as it should have.
Most of the research presented at CAA conferences has
a "scientific half life time" of 6 months or so, but
proceedings take 2-4 years for publication on average.

This means that current research is not available for
proper academic citation and will be outdated by the
time it is. There have been plans to change this for
years now, but no solution has surfaced yet.

I have been frustrated by this countless times
in the past, and I imagine that I am not the
only one who is dissatisfied with the current
situation: Who needs costly, slow, printed
conference proceedings in this day and age?

I believe the way to go is this:

   http://www.stadtarchaeologie.at/?page_id=1678

... if they can do it, why can't CAA?

The question is: what to do in order to speed up
the necessary policy changes? How about addressing
a petition to the permanent CAA organizing committe?

Anyone here in the know what's going on behind the
scenes, at the CAA steering committee, regarding this
topic?

Best,

Ben

--