[open-archaeology] Immediate open access publications of CAA proceedings?

Verhagen, J.W.H.P. j.w.h.p.verhagen at vu.nl
Wed May 9 12:24:11 UTC 2012

As Publication Officer of CAA, I think this is my call ... While Ben is certainly right where it concerns publications of the past, we have managed to publish the 2011 Proceedings within one year, and you can download the open access volume from here: http://www.aup.nl/do.php?a=show_visitor_repository&m=29. We will do the same for 2012 and 2013. Unfortunately however, we are still dependent on publishers to do the printing, and on local organizers to organize the reviewing and editing. In the past these factors have proved to be the major obstacles to quick publication. The CAA Steering Committee therefore has now taken a much more active role in this, by setting up new standards for publications, designing a conference management system for the years to come, and creating a larger pool of reviewers (for which you are all invited if you are not already in there - just drop me a line). However, this process is not finished yet, and a lot of elements in it still need to be improved.

There are no plans yet to switch to a completely digital publication process. This is because there has never been a majority within the CAA membership to go this way, and the members of CAA actually need to approve of such changes. Having said this, we will make the old proceedings available through open access this year, and we will consider fully digital proceedings after 2013.

Hope this makes things clearer,

Best wishes,

Philip Verhagen