[open-archaeology] Open licenses for archaeological data matter: the case of AustArch

Stefano Costa steko at iosa.it
Tue Jul 29 21:53:36 UTC 2014

Dear all,
this list is admittedly not very active, however I'd like to share some
observations I made about the terms of service of the Archaeology Data
Service, that started from a discussion on Twitter:

http://archaeology.okfn.org/2014/07/29/open-licenses-for-archaeological-data-matter-the-case-of-austarch/

In short: I think custom licenses such as the ADS terms of use are
archaeological remains and should be replaced by standard, open
licenses. As Colleen Morgan succinctly put it:

	What about the professional archaeologists among us?
	They need media [and data] too.

Perhaps we could gather more comments on this and see if there is
momentum towards a wider action?

All the best, ciao
Stefano