[open-archaeology] Open licenses for archaeological data matter: the case of AustArch

Anthony Beck ant.beck at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 22:47:41 UTC 2014

ear Stefano,

I agree with this and came to a similar point in relation to DART...

http://antarch.calepin.co/dart-licences-and-the-ads.html

http://blog.okfn.org/2014/04/17/building-an-archaeological-project-repository-ii-where-are-the-research-data-repositories/

The OKF blog raises an interesting point in relation to the ADS licence:

<snip>
The ADS uses a more restrictive bespoke default licence which does not
map to national or international licence schemes (they also don’t
recognise non CC licences). Resources under this licence can only be
used for teaching, learning, and research purposes. Of particular
concern is their use of the NC clause and possible use of the ND clause
(depending on how you interpret the licence). Interestingly, policy
changes mean that the use of data under the bespoke ADS licence becomes
problematic if university teaching activities are determined to be
commercial. It is arguable that the payment of tuition fees represents a
commercial activity. If this is true then resources released under the
ADS licence can not be used within university teaching which is part of
a commercial activity. Hence, the policy change in student tuition and
university funding has an impact on the commercial nature of university
teaching which has a subsequent impact on what data or resources
universities are licensed to use. Whilst it may never have been the
intention of the ADS to produce a licence with this potential paradox,
it is a problem when bespoke licences are developed, even if they were
originally perceived to be relatively permissive licences. To remove
this ambiguity it is recommended that submissions to the ADS are
provided under a CC licence which renders the bespoke ADS licence void.
- See more at:
http://blog.okfn.org/2014/04/17/building-an-archaeological-project-repository-ii-where-are-the-research-data-repositories/#sthash.pD3RLG9X.dpuf
</snip>

Hope these thoughts help......