[open-archaeology] Open licenses for archaeological data matter: the case of AustArch

Judith Winters judith.winters at york.ac.uk
Wed Jul 30 13:21:53 UTC 2014

Going back to AustArch (and to clear up a slight misunderstanding), ADS
licence terms are a matter between ADS and individual depositors.

I (as Internet Archaeology) most certainly would recommend ADS for the long
term curation of digital data, although in this instance, ADS was mentioned
in the initial approach to me so I put parties in touch with each other -
but I'd not recommend on the licence. That would be odd.

My response in fact was "the choice of archive is really up to you, and
where your data's 'natural' home may be. I have had a quick chat to ... ADS
collections manager, and she would be most interested in taking your data
as it does still fall under their  remit, but if you have not already
considered it, the Australian National Data Service http://www.ands.org.au/ may
also be
appropriate."

As has been mentioned, more education about what licences are, what they
do, is the thing here, and this discussion has made me wonder what role I
ought to play. I already advise IA authors about lots to do with their
article, including licencing terms, but unless the question was asked, I
would be reluctant to do the same on things that are not directly concerned
about their publication in the journal. Although granted there is a blurred
line here between data-paper and dataset...

Judith

--
Judith Winters
Editor, Internet Archaeology

Department of Archaeology, University of York YO1 7EP

EMAIL DISCLAIMER http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm