[open-archaeology] Open licenses for archaeological data matter: the case of AustArch

Anthony Beck A.R.Beck at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Jul 30 13:27:04 UTC 2014

Thanks Michael,

Your stepping in is much appreciated. I think you are right in two aspects FUD and changes in definition. In respect of FUD: I'm not trying to spread Fear, but there is definitely Uncertainty and Doubt (more of the former that the latter). The removal or reduction of the uncertainty and doubt is where this kind of discussion should be focussed. I hope your shorthand licence starts to remove some of this ambiguity.

We should try to move organisation like the ADS into a fully Open position -  it would be a good aspiration to move you from being open in your hearts to being open in your deeds (at least from a technical and licence perspective). Without wishing to spread more FUD your licence does appear to go against the directions espoused by Open Government (and Francis Mause) and RCUK.  That said I also appreciate that a wholesale licence migration is not an easy thing (it caused a lot of pain for Open Street Map) and may not be realistic. For DART our originally released data licence on our portal is more open than the ADS licence. As long as the ADS reference the data they consumed (from the portal) and respect our by-attribution licence constraint then any re-users can see that the ADS have harvested data that is available under a more favourable licence (assuming the data is available in perpetuity - I am working on that). The perpetuity element is the ADS trump card.

<snip>
In summary, we are aware our T&Cs cause confusion and it is our responsibility to clarify them more,
</snip>

can this community help in this?

Best