[open-archaeology] Open licenses for archaeological data matter: the case of AustArch

Anthony Beck ant.beck at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 17:19:55 UTC 2014

On 31/07/14 17:43, Michael Charno wrote:
> Hi Stefano,
>
> Thanks for your comments and others to the list. I think i have
> explained our position and there is danger that this conversation is
> going round in circles. The data archived by the ADS has always been
> open in the generally accepted sense and we’re not aware of anyone
> (other than the two previously mentioned) who has been actively
> prevented from reusing it due to our T&Cs.
Hmm. I don't think that fairly summarises the situation. You are looking
solely to the past and not the future and have neatly side-stepped
licence incompatibility issues. Assuming the sem-web stuff happens then
licences that stop/inhibit the computer-based aggregation, inference and
product derivation are problematic. The ADS licence is generally
accepted to be unclear and is generally perceived to map to a Non
Commercial clause.

This isn't an issue about the intent of the ADS licence its an issue
about the legality of the licence content. You may see it as being
generally accepted as 'open' but It could be argued that it is not
legally 'open'.

> We’ll continue to provide clarification where needed, and will keep
> our T&Cs under review as we appreciate that times move on.
As I was accused of spreading FUD then I would hope the ADS do play
their part in removing the Uncertainty and Doubt.
> However, given budget and time constraints, we don't see the benefit
> in trying to fix something that isn't broken by renegotiating 1000s of
> licences or implementing something that makes things much more
> complicated to manage going forward. We feel our efforts are better
> used by continuing to preserve and disseminate archaeological data and
> promoting best practice for data creators, as we have always done.
Licences are an important part of best practice. Whilst I understand the
difficulty of migrating your old accessions. This does not need to be
the case for new accessions.
> We fully accept that our license doesn't fulfil the Open Data
> definition according to the Open Knowledge Foundation, and will
> endeavour to address any confusion caused by this position.

Thanks. May I suggest that this is made both a human and computer
readable solution. I noted a little while ago that John Goodwin and
Leigh Dodds wore working on a computer parsable licence calculus.

Once again - I'm sure this forum would like to be part of this

Best