[open-archaeology] Open licenses for archaeological data matter: the case of AustArch

Michael Charno michael.charno at york.ac.uk
Thu Jul 31 16:43:00 UTC 2014

Hi Stefano,

Thanks for your comments and others to the list. I think i have
explained our position and there is danger that this conversation is
going round in circles. The data archived by the ADS has always been
open in the generally accepted sense and we’re not aware of anyone
(other than the two previously mentioned) who has been actively
prevented from reusing it due to our T&Cs.

We’ll continue to provide clarification where needed, and will keep our
T&Cs under review as we appreciate that times move on. However, given
budget and time constraints, we don't see the benefit in trying to fix
something that isn't broken by renegotiating 1000s of licences or
implementing something that makes things much more complicated to manage
going forward. We feel our efforts are better used by continuing to
preserve and disseminate archaeological data and promoting best practice
for data creators, as we have always done. We fully accept that our
license doesn't fulfil the Open Data definition according to the Open
Knowledge Foundation, and will endeavour to address any confusion caused
by this position.

Cheers,
michael

Michael Charno
Lead Applications Developer

Archaeology Data Service
Department of Archaeology
University of York                  Tel: +44 (0)1904 323967
King's Manor                        Fax: +44 (0)1904 323939
York
YO1 7EP

Disclaimer  http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm