[open-bibliography] Participate in the DC-Provenance task group

Kai Eckert eckert at bib.uni-mannheim.de
Thu Aug 12 16:11:38 UTC 2010

Apologies for cross-posting.

Hi all,

the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI) has recently started a task
group to address the issue of “metadata provenance”.

The group aims at creating a shared model of the data elements required
(a so-called “application profile”) to satisfactorily describe an
aggregation of metadata statements in order to collectively import,
access, use and publish facts about the quality, rights, timeliness,
data source type, trust situation, etc. of the described metadata.

Thus, we will not be concerned with the general issue of provenance
metadata, but only with the provenance (in the broad sense of additional
information) *of* metadata. In essence, we are dealing with metametadata.

We are currently seeking participants from communities who would be
interested in working collaboratively on this DCMI initiative. More
information can be found in the group wiki:
http://wiki.bib.uni-mannheim.de/dc-provenance/

We expect that the results of the task group will have an impact on
several currently debated issues, e.g. best practices for publishing
library metadata as linked data.

So get involved and join us if you are interested in metadata
provenance, together we can work on this relevant topic. The broader the
participation of the community, the more useful the resulting
application profile and best-practice recommendations are going to be.
There will be punch an’ pie ;-)

Kind regards,

Michael Panzer, OCLC Inc., USA
Kai Eckert, Mannheim University Library, Germany

--
Kai Eckert
Universitätsbibliothek Mannheim