[open-bibliography] comprehensive bibliographic database of "open" resources?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Aug 17 13:02:13 UTC 2010

Ian Ibbotson wrote:
> AFAIK (I'm not a marc expert by a way) you're right that there's no
> obvious way to discern the license for a record (Or indeed the license
> for the resource pointed to by the record).

I'm no MARC expert either, but I've spent years wading in it to
achieve migrations to Koha and so on.  I think 018$a (Copyright
article-fee code) would at least allow to spot fee-required
resources pointed to by records.

I guess we might be able to combine the 008/39 and 040 (Cataloging
Source) values with external knowledge of the catalogue licensing
policies of various agencies to figure things out, but it's imperfect.

> Of course the tech predates that particular question. [...]

Really?  I thought copyright had been obnoxious for quite a while.

> [...] Come to think of it, a useful feature of
> a Z3950->OAI tool might be to add such license statements.

Although I saw it first, I'm less familiar with OAI.  What would I
expect to see for open bibliographic data in OAI?  Does it happen
in the wild?

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef) Webmaster and developer for hire at | software