[open-bibliography] Crowdsourcing bibliographic data

Ross Singer ross.singer at talis.com
Tue Aug 17 14:03:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>wrote:

> Thought this was deserving of a new thread Peter! ;-)
>
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> > Simple solution:
> > * get every first year student to compile a bibliography of their subject
> by
> > hand. Portion out the work just like OSM does. A list of all journals and
> > all articles which students use to find new ones.
>
> YES! This was partly why I was interested in starting Bibliographica.
> A few key points on this:
>
>  * To make something that is used you can't just give people a form
> and expect them to add a thousand articles. There must be some
> incentive for users in order to make this really scale. E.g. being
> able to use it to generate nice indexes for courses they teach/attend,
> books they write, having a community to help ensure the information is
> up to date, all open so can be plugged into other
> tools/services/resources, and so on.
>  * Hence Bibliographica, which aims to be a free, open source,
> scalable service which you can import/export from, set up your own
> instance of (like Wordpress), and do lots of neat things with.

Also, my employer, Talis, has a non-free, non-open source, but open data
offering in this space:
http://www.talis.com/aspire/

(note, this is not a product pitch for Aspire, just want people to be aware
that the data that goes into it is open and RDF).

Here's an example:

http://resourcelists.ntu.ac.uk/lists/0FC5CDEF-D3AD-A8D9-B800-59ED80E1B3E3

And, you can get the RDF either through conneg or:

http://resourcelists.ntu.ac.uk/lists/0FC5CDEF-D3AD-A8D9-B800-59ED80E1B3E3.rdf

for the list.

http://resourcelists.ntu.ac.uk/items/F9FE3794-6EC8-4C98-1E0B-BA8071B54116.rdf

for reference to an item on a reading list (different from the thing
itself).
and:

http://resourcelists.ntu.ac.uk/resources/EC7FA3CB-20CC-94CD-36FB-002E8B655D18

for an individual item.

Anyway, potential source for more open bib data.

-Ross.