[open-bibliography] comprehensive bibliographic database of "open" resources?

Adrian Pohl ad.pohl at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 18 19:11:13 UTC 2010

Of course you are right, Karen. Thanks for making this clear. I quoted
this part of the policy to underline the fact that there is no
copyright on individual records and I didn't want to state that OCLC
actually has a copyright on the database. I too think that it is quite
possible OCLC's claims wouldn't withstand in a trial.

> WorldCat as
> a whole (database, UI, services) should be copyrightable, but the data
> itself, even the entire set of data, probably is not.

The phrase "WorldCat as a whole" confuses me. I wouldn't say the whole
is copyrighted but certain components or aspects of it. E.g., there
most probably are property and related rights associated with the
technology behind WorldCat (which probably aren't owned by OCLC), the
logos and design and other things. But that doesn't sum up to WorldCat
as a whole being protected.

Adrian