[open-bibliography] comprehensive bibliographic database of "open" resources?

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Wed Aug 18 20:01:15 UTC 2010

Quoting Adrian Pohl <ad.pohl at googlemail.com>:

>> WorldCat as
>> a whole (database, UI, services) should be copyrightable, but the data
>> itself, even the entire set of data, probably is not.
>
> The phrase "WorldCat as a whole" confuses me. I wouldn't say the whole
> is copyrighted but certain components or aspects of it. E.g., there
> most probably are property and related rights associated with the
> technology behind WorldCat (which probably aren't owned by OCLC), the
> logos and design and other things. But that doesn't sum up to WorldCat
> as a whole being protected.

I probably said that wrong. You can claim copyright in a web site,
which has design elements, some created content, etc. So, for example,
the site of Amazon.com has a copyright notice ("© 1996-2010,
Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates"), but that does not mean that
Amazon claims to hold a copyright on every bit of data that appears on
their pages. A newspaper can claim copyright in its web site but may
not hold copyright in every article that displays. Copyright can cover
design elements, look and feel, etc. In the cases of web sites I think
it's often unclear what is being covered.

There is a similar copyright notice on the WorldCat home page:

  	Copyright © 2001-2010 OCLC. All rights reserved.

What does this refer to exactly? I don't know. It links to a page that
says simply (but not clearly):

"OCLC users are hereby granted permission to reproduce this
publication for their internal use. Reproduction of substantial
portions of this publication must contain the OCLC copyright notice."

I find it very confusing when OCLC refers to "WorldCat" in their
documents because I'm not sure exactly how they are defining it.
What's "this publication?" Sometimes they seem to mean the database,
other times they seem to be mainly referring to the services. Is it an
OPAC? A cataloging service? An ILL service? Where do they draw the line?

kc