[open-bibliography] Open Bibliographic Data Charter/Principles

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 24 15:21:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Adrian Pohl <pohl at hbz-nrw.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would be happy to bring the creation of Open Bibliographic Data
> Principles a bit further. In the group's first virtual meeting we discussed
> drafting an Open Bibliographic Data Charter. Quoting the meeting's minutes
> [1]:
>
> <quote>
> Background: See the proposal on the mailing list:
> http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-bibliography/2010-June/000209.html
> This charter should be written short and simple. It should suggest a basic
> set of open data principles for library data. E.g. like Panton Principles (
> http://pantonprinciples.org/) ( http://pantonprinciples.org/%29 ). Could
> also aim to get sign on/support from key people in libraries, archives, etc.

I think this is a great idea and have commented on the Etherpad. I think it
should widened out from libraries. Otherwise I think the application of the
PP template to bibliography is brilliant and has immediate impact.

I don't know how much work it will take. For me, very little, but the legal
aspects of bibliography may be different from scientific data. If I'd seen
the mail 3 hours ago I could have asked Jordan.

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry
University of Cambridge