[open-bibliography] Open Bibliographic Data Charter/Principles

Adrian Pohl pohl at hbz-nrw.de
Tue Aug 24 12:07:51 UTC 2010

Hello,

I would be happy to bring the creation of Open Bibliographic Data Principles a bit further. In the group's first virtual meeting we discussed drafting an Open Bibliographic Data Charter. Quoting the meeting's minutes [1]:

<quote>
Background: See the proposal on the mailing list: http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-bibliography/2010-June/000209.html
This charter should be written short and simple. It should suggest a basic set of open data principles for library data. E.g. like Panton Principles (http://pantonprinciples.org/) ( http://pantonprinciples.org/%29 ). Could also aim to get sign on/support from key people in libraries, archives, etc.

See also: http://wiki.okfn.org/FutureOfBibliographicControl"
</quote>

In the last meeting - which I didn't attend - some more thoughts were spent on this charter, see [2]. Though I think there are some valuable thoughts expressed I would like to stick to the KISS principle ("Keep it short and simple.") for the open bibliographic data principles. I started an Etherpad with a slight variation of the Panton Principles for Bibliographic Data at http://okfnpad.org/openbibliography-principles

I believe - apart from the science specific introduction -  the Panton Principles in most parts perfectly also apply to bibliographic data. So I put together a draft introduction specific to bibliographic data (taking some phrases from the Open Bibliographic Data flyer) and otherwise stuck closely to the content of the Panton Principles. What do you think?  Also, everybody feel free to make the English sound good. I am no native speaker.

All the best
Adrian

[1] http://okfnpad.org/Qv1jMMQL1h

[2] http://okfnpad.org/wTnZOOxiRz