[open-bibliography] comprehensive bibliographic database of "open" resources?

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Fri Aug 27 15:59:40 UTC 2010

Quoting Owen Stephens <owen at ostephens.com>:

> I'm not at all convinced that simply containing the OCLC number means that
> the record comes from OCLC, but agree it could be an indicator

Owen, in fact anyone can add an OCLC number or delete one from a
record -- there is no protection against that. As part of the WorldCat
Local process, libraries send records to OCLC that do not have OCLC
numbers, and OCLC matches them to the WC database and adds the number.
That record could have come from anywhere, but now has an OCLC number.

> Can any cataloguing/MARC gurus confirm that in theory the 040 and 008/39 to
> identify the source of cataloguing (as far as is possible)?

I'm not by any means a guru in this area, but I think what we will run
up against here is inconsistent use of the 040 field in different
library systems. OCLC seems to always mark the source of updates by
adding the library's code to the 040 field. I doubt if local systems
do the same; that is, if a library has updated a record in their local
system, my guess is that the 040 field is not necessarily updated. So
should that record be exchanged directly with another library (or sent
out to the cloud) that update is not registered.

It seems to me that there are only two things that can be known in
*some* cases: 1) where did the record originate? (040 $a, the library
that did the original cataloging) 2) where did the record immediately
come from? (the 003, the sending agency). That said, I know for a fact
that many libraries do not property set the 001 (local system id) and
003 when they export records -- many send out records with the OCLC
number in the 001, and their own system number in a 9xx field.

> What would be
> really good is if we could start to compile a list of 'rights' or licensing
> across those organisiations that can appear in 040? (perhaps even persuade
> LoC and other agencies this should be added to organisational records which
> have valid MARC21 Organisation codes in
> http://www.loc.gov/marc/organizations/org-search.php and equivalent national
> lists)

Once again, OCLC practices have overridden standards. OCLC puts the
OCLC customer ID in the 040, not the standard MARC21 organization
code. You can look up OCLC ids on their site, but I don't see a way to
download the whole list.
   http://www.oclc.org/contacts/libraries/

I think that the upshot is: great idea, but the data may not support it.

:-)

kc

--
Karen Coyle