[open-bibliography] Mendeley and open data...

Thomas Krichel krichel at openlib.org
Mon Aug 30 21:34:46 UTC 2010

  Peter Murray-Rust writes

> There is actually very little data anywhere that is formally labelled as
> Open according to the OKD.

  Forget about formal. Just make it available.

> Part of what we are doing is approaching poeple
> who want to expose theie data and show them how to make it Open.

  Just make them make it available and then build services
  that demonstrate that further use is in the data holders interest.

> It's unclear whether Mendeley actually intend to make their data
> Open

  I agree. They are just like a library in this sense.
  Open metadata makes sense for publishers, not libraries.

> - if they do, then we'll help advise them what needs to be done - it
> they don't they we can highlight that this data is not Open and
> shouldn't be spoken of as such.

  I think we should be saying this right away.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                http://authorclaim.org/profile/pkr1
                                               skype: thomaskrichel