[open-bibliography] More verbs. Electronic 'Items' (Yes, another FRBR thread)

Benjamin O'Steen bosteen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 10:11:57 UTC 2010

Two hopefully quick points:

After the massive FRBR thread, I came away with the notion that Work and
Expression are redundant levels, and that by redrawing the lines between
the layers and adding in more verbs we could better serve the aim of
FRBR'ising the records.

So... where are the verbs? I've been moving house etc so haven't
followed the threads as close as I'd like, but I do think this is a
perfect opportunity to collaborate on a list of verbs that interrelates
the classes that remain - the new 'Work', 'Manifestation' and 'Item'

Shall we kick off an etherpad for this? or has someone already started
collating predicates and I am just behind the times?

--------------------

Electronic Items

Item doesn't make an awful lot of sense with regards electronics or
born-digital items. I think that we might broaden the schema a little
here to allow something like an OAI-ORE Aggregation here instead of an
Item. Would it be preferable to subclass it as 'DigitalItem' or to use
it unaltered?

This would enable us to describe whatever granularity of digital item we
want or are able to using RDF relationships.

Ben

PS forgive me if I have just summarised previous conversations - I am
catching up!