[open-bibliography] More verbs. Electronic 'Items' (Yes, another FRBR thread)

William Waites william.waites at okfn.org
Thu Jul 8 17:56:30 UTC 2010

On 10-07-08 13:33, Karen Coyle wrote:
> Quoting Benjamin O'Steen <bosteen at gmail.com>:
>

>> I was talking about realining or adding to the predicates when you take
>> into consideration that some Expression-level predicates are arguably
>> Work level relationships (or should be): eg translations and so on. For
>> example, changing the range+domain of
>> http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/show/id/1635.html
>> (hasATranslation) from Expression to perhaps a union of Expression and
>> Work? or simply from E -> E to W -> W?
>
> I'm still not clear on what you are trying to do, but perhaps this helps:
>
> ... in the FRBR document "is expression of" is a predicate that
> relates an expression to a Work. Between each of the four Group 1
> entities there appears to be a single relationship:
>   - is expression of (has expression)  E <-> Work
>   - is manifestation of (has manifestation) M <-> E
>   - is item of (has item) I <-> M
>
> As for translations, Work is an abstract, until it is expressed, so
> only the Expression can be translated, not the Work. (That's the FRBR
> logic, I'm not necessarily defending it.)

I think Ben is suggesting taking some inspiration from FRBR,
but ditching its Expression class and defining more predicates.

One way of doing this that is nice and reuseful is to use the
existing FRBR classes with different relationship logic and
reuse FRBR predicates where possible. The predicates embed
FRBR relationship logic in their constraints so they would have
to be changed to support our logic (FRBR absent Expression).

I think it is best to define classes in a new vocabulary rather
than try to shoehorn a different conceptual model into FRBR --
see [0] which is very provisional and will try to follow the
consensus on the wiki page.

Cheers,
-w

--
William Waites           <william.waites at okfn.org>
Mob: +44 789 798 9965    Open Knowledge Foundation

RDF Indexing, Clustering and Inferencing in Python
		http://ordf.org/