[open-bibliography] More verbs. Electronic 'Items' (Yes, another FRBR thread)

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Thu Jul 8 17:33:07 UTC 2010

Quoting Benjamin O'Steen <bosteen at gmail.com>:

> I was talking about realining or adding to the predicates when you take
> into consideration that some Expression-level predicates are arguably
> Work level relationships (or should be): eg translations and so on. For
> example, changing the range+domain of
> http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/show/id/1635.html
> (hasATranslation) from Expression to perhaps a union of Expression and
> Work? or simply from E -> E to W -> W?

I'm still not clear on what you are trying to do, but perhaps this helps:

... in the FRBR document "is expression of" is a predicate that
relates an expression to a Work. Between each of the four Group 1
entities there appears to be a single relationship:
   - is expression of (has expression)  E <-> Work
   - is manifestation of (has manifestation) M <-> E
   - is item of (has item) I <-> M

As for translations, Work is an abstract, until it is expressed, so
only the Expression can be translated, not the Work. (That's the FRBR
logic, I'm not necessarily defending it.)

I do think it is problematic that relationships have been specified as
relating only between certain FRBR entities. In some cases I can see
the logic (as in above on translations), in other cases I cannot.
There's a lot about the implementation of FRBR that I think is far
from settled.

Actually, it's worse than that. A predicate is a relationship between
properties, yet the FRBR predicates have been made specific to a
particular entity. It's not clear to me whether the predicate as
defined is subject + predicate or predicate + object.

Note that in the publishing of RDA (which uses a lot of FRBR elements)
we have tried to create a "general" level where properties and
predicates are free of the FRBR entities -- in particular the Group 1
entities -- so that communities with different interpretations of FRBR
can continue to operate.

kc