[open-bibliography] More verbs. Electronic 'Items' (Yes, another FRBR thread)

Weinheimer Jim j.weinheimer at aur.edu
Mon Jul 12 15:02:01 UTC 2010

But this becomes a problem for comprehensibility and means a lot of work. My example was always this page of Thomas a Kempis' Imitation of Christ:
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/kempis/imitation.html. Is this one "thing" or several? (This site has actually gotten rid of several formats over the years, e.g. http://web.archive.org/web/20030924082152/http://www.ccel.org/ccel/kempis/imitation.html)

Also, with materials in sites such as the Internet Archive, how do we deal with them:
http://www.archive.org/details/imitationofchris00newy

Is this 8 manifestations? That's a lot of extra records and work. Is it best for the readers and is it worthwhile to deal with them this way? And what happens when the Archive decides to automatically create, let's say XML versions for every document. Are these all going to be different manifestations?

For these sorts of reasons, I personally have major theoretical problems with the concept of "manifestation" especially with practical effects when applied generally. I see the "manifestation" primarily as a throwback to the catalog/unit card, and I think there are far better ways of handling them with modern tools.

But I realize we are probably stuck with what we have.

James L. Weinheimer  j.weinheimer at aur.edu
Director of Library and Information Services
The American University of Rome
Rome, Italy