[open-bibliography] Fwd: [okfn-discuss] University of Ghent LibraryCatalogues: Open or Not?

John Wilbanks wilbanks at creativecommons.org
Fri Mar 26 04:38:11 UTC 2010

David,

Thanks for copying me on this.

It's obviously up to E-Prints, but I'd encourage them to look at the
Panton Principles, onto which both Creative Commons and OKF staff
signed. They recommend using the public domain (either via a CCZero tool
or the OKF's PDDL) on publicly funded science data, and it'd be a lost
opportunity to encode PP-compliant principles into a piece of software
that will likely contain a lot of publicly funded science data.

I'd also point out that data license regimes that impose share-alike on
data can create expectations that 1) conflict with privacy restraints on
data, which often exist on publicly funded scientific data sets
(anything touching a human subject, for example) and 2) depend on the
act of *copying*  - in a semantic web world, query is the dominant
regime, rather than a copy. Last, of course, any contract regime that
depends on contract carries the burden of the derivative database
providers making a contract offer and the users agreeing to the
contract, which over time can impose significant transaction costs.

All of these went into the CC work on data licensing and the public
domain, and are reflected in the panton principles. We've done quite a
bit of legwork and legal analysis of the risks and benefits and would be
happy to brief you at your leisure. We arrived at our position after
three years of research, and after beginning with a real desire to
implement a share-alike regime for data.

jtw