[open-bibliography] Fwd: [okfn-discuss] University of Ghent LibraryCatalogues: Open or Not?

David Shotton david.shotton at zoo.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 25 21:41:27 UTC 2010

Dear Christopher,

There has been considerable discussion, I understand, between OKF and CC
about data licenses, which may be still ongoing.  CC is now recommending
their "CCZero" license for datasets, since this avoids the potential
problem of managing the "attribution stacking" that would result from
automatic data  aggregation from several sources using conventional
attribution licenses of any kind.  You  are advised to take these
arguments into consideration before deciding what to do for EPrints.

For FlyTED (http://www.fly-ted.org), which as you know uses the EPrints
software platform, we have, after discussions with John Wilbanks,
adopted CCZero licenses for metadata and thumbnails, and normal CC
attribution licences for high resolution images.

Dryad (http://datadryad.org/repo), which is a repository for datasets
linked to journal articles, has also adopted CCZero licenses.

--

Dr David Shotton
 david.shotton at zoo.ox.ac.uk <mailto:mailto:david.shotton at zoo.ox.ac.uk>

Image Bioinformatics Research Group
http://ibrg.zoo.ox.ac.uk
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford                  tel:
+44-(0)1865-271193
South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK                    fax:
+44-(0)1865-310447