[open-bibliography] My FRBR shareable units

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Wed May 26 15:54:22 UTC 2010

Following up on the previous discussion, I did a blog post on how I
see the "sharable units" in a FRBR world:

http://kcoyle.blogspot.com/2010/05/frbr-and-sharability.html

Some of it seems quite obvious, but what I think we've run into is a
difference between how FRBR defines its entities vs. what is the
actual workable unit. So when people say "Manifestation" they are
probably NOT referring to the FRBR Manifestation entity, but to a
bibliographic description that includes the Work, Expression and
Manifestation properties, as well as the links from Groups 2 & 3 to
the Work entity.

I still see some inconsistencies in FRBR -- like the fact that
although you can create a Corporate Body entity for a publisher and
use a relationship "publisher of" to a Manifestation, the
Manifestation includes a property for publisher name; but the Work
does not include a property for creator name. I would really like to
see these inconsistencies cleared up -- it would make it easier to
model a FRBR bibliographic universe.

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net