[open-bibliography] FRBR examples

Christopher Gutteridge cjg at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed May 26 17:01:17 UTC 2010

I think I would feel much more confident about FRBR's
Work/Expression/Manifestation/Item model if there was a robust set of
examples of each level in the model.

The best I could find is

    * *the work*, a distinct intellectual or artistic creation
    * *the expression*, the intellectual or artistic realization of a work
    * *the manifestation*, the physical embodiment of an expression of a
      work
    * *the item*, a single exemplar of a manifestation.

Which is all very well, but it's still pretty impenetrable. I'd like to
see (in the first 10 results for googling FRBR) some examples, such as
books, videos, music, a PDF of a confernce paper, a recording of a
performance of a play, and so forth. I think it would cut through much
of the confusion.

Given a set of examples for each level, it would be so much easier for
people to map things into the model. Without it there's going to be
heaps of junk data where people just guess.

Also, making some examples would expose any confusion and assumptions.

--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://id.ecs.soton.ac.uk/person/1248

/ Lead Developer, EPrints Project, http://eprints.org/
/ Web Projects Manager, ECS, University of Southampton, http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/