[open-bibliography] Open-Bibliographic-Data-Flyer

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon May 17 18:39:39 UTC 2010

This all looks really good! It may also be worth borrowing from the
"Response to Working Group on the Future of Bibliographic Control
(Library of Congress)" document which we helped draft back in late
2007: <http://wiki.okfn.org/FutureOfBibliographicControl>

For example:

<quote>
Bibliographic records are a key part of our shared cultural heritage.
They too should therefore be made available to the public for access
and re-use without restriction. Not only will this allow libraries to
share records more efficiently and improve quality more rapidly
through better, easier feedback, but will also make possible more
advanced online sites for book-lovers, easier analysis by social
scientists, interesting visualizations and summary statistics by
journalists and others, as well as many other possibilities we cannot
predict in advance.

Government agencies and public institutions are increasingly making
data open. We strongly encourage [...] [libraries] to join this
movement by recommending that more bibliographic data is made
available for access, re-use and re-distribution without restriction.
</quote>

Regards,

Rufus

On 17 May 2010 19:12, Felix Ostrowski <felix.ostrowski at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> neat, looks like someone (Claire?) completed the translation! This is just
> to make sure that you also feel free (or rather urged ;-) to correct my
> stammering in the first two paragraphs. I've used http://dict.leo.org/ quite
> a lot, as native speakers have undoubtedly noticed...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Felix
>
> 2010/5/13 Claire Parry <lemuria162 at googlemail.com>
>>
>> I am happy to contribute to this (as a native English speaker with
>> advanced German skills). I will try and make a start over the weekend, time
>> permitting.
>>
>> Claire
>>
>> 2010/5/11 Adrian Pohl <pohl at hbz-nrw.de>
>>>
>>> Dear Open Data friends,
>>>
>>> I put a text for an Open Data flyer into the OKFN wiki which we created
>>> at the hbz (in German):
>>> http://wiki.okfn.org/Entwurf%20eines%20Flyers%20zu%20Freien%20Katalogdaten
>>>
>>> I know there are some German speaking persons on this list (perhaps even
>>> some native English speakers with German skills). The next task is - besides
>>> adding some arguments while keeping the text short - to translate this draft
>>> into english. I've already created a wiki page for the English version:
>>> http://wiki.okfn.org/Open%20Bibliographic%20Data%20Flyer
>>> So, everybody is invited to help creating a good, simple and short text
>>> (at best in multiple languages) about the benefits of Open Bibliographic
>>> Data.
>>>
>>> Adrian

Open Knowledge Foundation