[open-bibliography] FRBR examples

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu May 27 11:02:35 UTC 2010

On 26 May 2010 18:01, Christopher Gutteridge <cjg at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> I think I would feel much more confident about FRBR's
> Work/Expression/Manifestation/Item model if there was a robust set of
> examples of each level in the model.
>
> The best I could find is
>
> the work, a distinct intellectual or artistic creation
> the expression, the intellectual or artistic realization of a work
> the manifestation, the physical embodiment of an expression of a work
> the item, a single exemplar of a manifestation.
>
> Which is all very well, but it's still pretty impenetrable. I'd like to see
> (in the first 10 results for googling FRBR) some examples, such as books,
> videos, music, a PDF of a confernce paper, a recording of a performance of a
> play, and so forth. I think it would cut through much of the confusion.

I made a stab at this in the following wiki page, mainly for my own
understanding and that of others on Bibliographica here:

<http://wiki.okfn.org/p/Bibliographica/FRBR>

I've also tried to link to the most useful FRBR resources I'd found at
the bottom of that (I'm sure there's many I've missed!)

Rufus