[open-bibliography] FRBR examples

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Fri May 28 18:52:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:
> Quoting Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com>:
>>
>> The Freebase publishing domain (http://www.freebase.com/view/book)
>> only has 3 million books, but it's got a relatively rich data model
>> [1] which supports works, adaptations[3,4], and translations[5,6,7].
>
> That's a start :-). Take a look at:
>   http://kcoyle.net/rda/group1relsby.html
> for a fairly complete list of relationships beyond adaptation and
> translation.

Freebase has a bunch of these (libretto, series, subseries, sequel,
screenplay, contained in, etc) and others I think are over modeled
(e.g. eight flavors of adaptation instead of a single property which
connects different types of entities).

> So, if I wanted to make use of some of these, is there a way to
> add them to Freebase?

Sure.  You can either do it as a modeling experiment with the existing
Freebase data or add your own data too.  Basically you just define new
types that include your desired properties and add them to the topics.
 You can either extend/subclass existing types or do something
entirely independent.  If you want feedback, there's a community of
people with experience modeling stuff or you can bring in your own
domain experts and form a little sub-community to help you (or do it
all on your own).

> I would really like to start modeling some of the more
> complex relationships that are inherent in library data but haven't been
> made explicit in our catalogs.

If the help on the site isn't enough to get you going, shoot me an
email and I'd be happy to help get you started.

Tom