[open-bibliography] Sharing bibliographic user data

Ben O'Steen bosteen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 15:48:27 UTC 2010

I think what you are asking about is not sharing data, but creating a
set of the data and sharing that as a separate resource (like a zip file
of csv or rdf)

For example, given an API in which usage data can be retrieved in real
time, many will just 'copy-by-reference' - pulling in the data on demand
and so reflect the data as it is at any given moment.

If you release a snapshot of data (to help lower API load) then you can
remind the reusers to respect that the data has a best-before-date,
especially for things like labels, lists and tags and to remain as in
sync as practical.

If your users will be upset with the perceived lack of control
downstream, then perhaps you cannot freely share the data? Perhaps a
survey or a mailshot to all your users illustrating what you would like
to do may help find out exactly how they may react?

Ben