[open-bibliography] Sharing bibliographic user data

Adrian Pohl adrian.pohl at okfn.org
Mon Nov 15 15:36:41 UTC 2010

Hello,

I am very happy that LibraryThing is thinking about opening up some
data. This discussion drove me to finally contact the people behind
BibSonomy[1] whether they would open up the BibSonomy data. In
genreal, they are interested but by their response some more questions
were raised concerning opening up user-generated data.

BibSonomy is a social bookmark and publication sharing system. Until
now BibSonomy offers an API[2] to reuse the data in library catalogs
etc. and they provide full dumps[3] for download by researchers. To
get these dumps you have to sign a license agreement[4]. As said, they
are open to releasing data under an open license but have some legal
concerns:

-  It's not they who collect the data but the users so the question
is: Is it that every user must agree to opening the aggregated data?
- Or can the service providers themselves open up data without asking the users?
- If it's ok for the service providers to open up the data: Which data
are they allowed to release under an open license? All data that is
publicly available anyway? Or should user-specific data be deleted to
some extend? E.g., is it OK to leave user names in place or should
they be anonymized? BibSonomy also has real names and even some
CVs[5]? Could they make these open without asking?

To get open data from social reference management services like
BibSonomy, book lovers sites like LibraryThing or user-generated data
from library catalogs we should provide some answers to these
questions...

Ciao
Adrian

[1] http://www.bibsonomy.org