[open-bibliography] Extra RDF datatypes

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 16 11:24:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Christopher Gutteridge <
cjg at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Something that's been an ongoing issue for us in expressing bibliographic
> data in RDF, often we have fragments of text which contain markup mixed with
> ones that don't. HTML & LaTeX fragments being the most common.
>
> http://purl.org/xtypes/
>
> defines new datatypes to express this, eg.
>
> <dc:description rdf:datatype='http://purl.org/Fragment-HTML'>Hello
> <b>World</b></dc:description>
> <dc:description rdf:datatype='http://purl.org/Fragment-PlainText'>Hello
> World</dc:description>

these give 404 for me. Are they meant to? In which case is there any
description/

> PlainText explicitly indicates an absence of markup, other than CF,LF,Tab
> and others which are part of the character set.
>
> I've been waiting years for a solution to this one, so I've given up and
> done it myself.

This is not mean unkindly but the easy thing to do is to create new
semantics. The harder thing is to get it adopted. Maybe the OKF is the right
place to start

> --
> Christopher Gutteridge -- http://id.ecs.soton.ac.uk/person/1248
>
> You should read the ECS Web Team blog: