[open-bibliography] British Library data announcement

Deliot, Corine Corine.Deliot at bl.uk
Mon Nov 22 10:29:32 UTC 2010

William, many thanks for your feedback.

Re: isbns.
They appear in dcterms:identifier [http://purl.org/dc/terms/identifier] and the range of that property is rdfs:literal [1], which is why we have recorded them as a string literal.

The latest version of the data available from us (version 0.3.1) also includes isbns and issns in bibo:isbn and bibo:issn. These are sub-properties of bibo:identifier, which has the range of rdfs:literal [2], which is why we again have recorded these as string literals.

My understanding is that if we wanted to treat isbns and issns as resources, then we would have to use dc:identifier http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/identifier, which had no range defined or another property from another RDF vocabulary with the appropriate range.

I will lowercase the urn:isbn, urn:issn in our next release, thanks.

[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-identifier
[2] http://bibotools.googlecode.com/svn/bibo-ontology/trunk/doc/index.html

We are aware that blank nodes are an issue but we are not in a position to mint our own URIs yet. We are investigating how best to do this.

Thanks again

Best, Corine