[open-bibliography] ANN: British National Bibliography

William Waites ww at eris.okfn.org
Mon Nov 22 19:10:01 UTC 2010

(trimming the Cc a little bit but as Peter rightly points out we
should probably trim it further for continued discussion)

* [2010-11-22 17:33:33 +0000] Richard Light <richard at light.demon.co.uk> écrit:

] Absolutely, though lets hope it's a random error and not something
] systematic.  I went to download the file in question to have a look, but
] as it's a 450MB XML document, which Firefox is gallantly trying to load
] for me to read, I suspect I will fail.  Any chance of these resources
] being offered as zip files?

The cleaned record, which I would agree should not be deleted but
superceded, can be retrieved as

    http://bnb.bibliographica.org/entry/GB97W9726.rdf

So what do we do about this? If it won't appear in further corrected
data from the BL, we should mint a new URI for it. This might be
directly in bibliographica.org. The identifier/slug shouldn't be used
because that's the BNB identifier. Easiest thing is just to make a
hash.

So if you do a search now you'll see two records for that book, the
incorrect one from the original data and a hand-made one based on that
record and what I could easily find with google.

So the new record is at:

    http://bibliographica.org/entry/c4bb7da2c60413acc06f2369746da92b

(anyone with a suggestion about how to make better identifiers please
pipe up).

As far as downloading the source data, I would suggest using wget(1).

Cheers,
-w
--
William Waites