[open-bibliography] Place of Publication data from the BLdataset

Deliot, Corine Corine.Deliot at bl.uk
Fri Nov 26 09:38:34 UTC 2010

Will do. No time today though. Corine

________________________________

From: open-bibliography-bounces at lists.okfn.org
[mailto:open-bibliography-bounces at lists.okfn.org] On Behalf Of Ben
O'Steen
Sent: 2010-11-26 07:42
To: List for Working Group on Open Bibliographic Data; William Waites
Subject: Re: [open-bibliography] Place of Publication data from the
BLdataset

I guess my email was a bit tl;dr - at the bottom of it I tried to point
out that these spreadsheets are meant as a guide to the sorts of data
within the dataset.

Corine, if you could take a look at the aforementioned data,
specifically the first sheet (sortedlocations0) which may indicate
errors in either the data or the conversion.

What I do want to discuss is the data itself. There are a great many
direct addresses with postcodes. So what might we do to make this more
usable? (Without spending too long on this)

- insert 'publishedNear' data, encapsulating the cities information?
- try to reduce the addresses to a lat-lon?
- something else?
- nothing at all?

Again, the spreadsheet was aimed at helping the exploration of the data.
The idea was you would spot something odd, click the link to get to
bnb.bibliographica and then start to characterise it on that service.

Ben

Ben